Saturday, November 22, 2014

Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup

It's a snowy day here in Saskatchewan and it's the perfect day to cook up a pot of soup!  So I thought I'd share our new favourite soup recipe! 
 

In the past year, we have had the privilege of being part of a community group where we get together once a week to learn more about God and support each other.  We always start with a potluck supper.  I love these suppers!  There is always a huge variety of food and the food is always awesome!  My friend Manuela brought this soup one day, and graciously shared the recipe. I simply have to pass the recipe on to you!

This soup is fantastic!  Not only does it taste great, but it's super easy to make, only requires minimal ingredients, and is ready to eat in about 20-30 mins.  Easy and convenient have been at the top of my list in the past months as I struggle to feed my family nutritious meals that take little energy and little planning.
 
You can find the recipe here...  
http://traceysculinaryadventures.com/2013/11/20-minute-sausage-and-tortellini-soup-2.html
.   ...or you can use my slightly modified version.

 
1 1/2 - 2 lbs Italian Sausage ( I used a hot sausage, but my littlest 2 would have preferred for it to be a bit more mild, so next time I'll use half mild and half hot)
2 med. onions, diced
15 garlic cloves, minced ( I used Kirkland's Minced California Garlic-so much easier!)
16-18 cups water
5-6 tsp Epicure Chicken Bouillon
3 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
3 pkgs (10 oz) cheese tortellini
18 oz baby spinach
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt
Pepper
Sour Cream
 
Add the sausage to a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Begin cooking, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon. After about 2 minutes, add the onion and continue cooking until the sausage is browned. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, just until fragrant. Add the water, chicken bouillon, and tomatoes (with their juices, do not drain them!), and Italian Seasoning. Increase the heat to medium-high, and bring the mixture to a boil. When you reach a boil, add the tortellini. Cook until tender, about 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the spinach. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a tsp of sour cream to each bowl.  Enjoy!

No comments: