Saturday, March 15, 2014

1000 Gifts

A year ago I decided to take the challenge to record 1000 things I am thankful for.  I'd been reading Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts and was inspired by how her life changed the more grateful she became.  I loved the idea of noticing all the "little" things in my life.  The things that I know I will long for when they are no more.  The things that are at the root of making my life wonderful.  The things that inspire and motivate me.  The things that draw me closer to my God.
 
If you've been following my blog in the past year you will have seen a few posts where I have mentioned some things.  Here are a few more...
 
 
499)  My 3 littles coming upstairs (even though they were happily playing) to join me in listening to Chris Tomlin's Amazing Grace.
 
565)  Clean sheets.
 
580)  Jackson falling asleep in my arms.
 
617)  Martin...his being my "soft place to fall".
 
 
725)  Malia's sense of humor.
 
763)  Alex helping Raina and Jackson paint.
 
797)  Doing puzzles with Raina.
 
840)  Kids being tickled to read through all the papers in our "Thankfulness" jar.
 
846)  The end of a horrid day.
 
892)  Malia reading her Bible.
 
923)  Restful and much needed nap.
 
958)  Taco Salad.
 
982)  Skiing on a warm and sunny day with my boys!
 
995)  Malia not waking Raina in the morning.
 
1000)  For how being thankful is changing me!!!!!!
 
For those of you that know me well, you will know that this past year has been the most difficult year ever!  I wrote a post about that, but haven't shared it.  It was more of a way to vent, to put things into perspective.  I'm not sure if I'll ever share it.  It is very personal, (or at least it feels that way to me) and I would hate to step on peoples toes or cause others to feel sorry for me.  Keeping a thankfulness journal has been one of my coping mechanisms and it has worked incredibly well!!
 
If you haven't read Ann Voskamp's book, I would strongly recommend you buy it and read it.  It is a "must have" kinda book!  I would also like to challenge you to record 1000 things you are thankful for in the next year.  It really doesn't matter when you start.  What matters is that you start.  Somehow taking the time to write things down, makes us slow down and see the wonder of every day. 
 
 
Oh, and please let me know how you do with this challenge. I would love to have feedback and hear how your life has changed by doing this!

No comments: