Friday, July 12, 2013

Like Mother, Like Son

 
Alex recently got braces, joining me in all the fun of flossing, brushing, trying to chew, trying to chew gracefully, brushing and flossing some more.  Alex has adjusted to his braces amazingly well. I on the other hand...not so much. I honestly would never have thought I could fall in love with wax...a must to keep my mouth from bleeding!  I suppose I have the advantage in that I only have about a year of braces and am at the halfway point already.  Alex on the other had will have to endure the braces for a good 2 years.
 
Alex has had horrible teeth since his baby teeth started falling out.  Apparently he has the unfortunate "Wollf teeth"....and I don't mean the fangs either!  lol!
 
I on the other hand, my teeth were perfect enough.  My front 2 teeth have always been a little too far back.  It was never a cause of concern until 2 years ago when my front tooth suddenly began to bother me.  Long story short...I needed a root canal.  My dentist couldn't figure out what was going on.  My teeth were healthy, I was too young (gotta love a dentist who says that!!), and I had never had a mouth injury of any sort.  Fast forward a year and a half.  I began having the same symptoms with my other front tooth.  That is when my dentist put 2 and 2 together.  Due to my front 2 teeth being too far back, and me clenching my jaw when I sleep, I was slowly killing my teeth.  Sooo...to save my teeth, we decided on the braces route and I'm sure I will never regret it.  It just feels a tad bit odd to be dealing with all things "teenage"....braces, acne, and hormones...who knew there was even a teeny tiny chance of reliving my teen years????  Arggg!!
 
Being one to never pass up on an opportunity to freak my kids out...  (insert evil laugh! :)...  I tied my hair back into 2 high pig tails and grinned.  You should have seen their faces!!! lol!  Umm...yah...not a pleasant sight!  Thankfully there are no pics!! 
 
 
 

3 comments:

Patrick and Christina said...

Alex has a great smile! His face just lights up. He looks so pleased to have braces!

I too had braces as an adult. I think it is a whole lot easier to adapt to them as a teen. So thankful that it was a short course as I also felt like I was reliving some of the awkward teen years! ;)

Kathy said...

yikes!! is Alex really almost as tall as you?
as for reliving the teen years, I guess you'll just have to go ahead and make it a blast this time around ;) don't envy you at all on that on.

Rae Screen @ GrinDoc said...

No one is too old to wear braces. At least now, you can relate to what your son has been experiencing ever since he started wearing braces. How long do you have to wear your braces?