Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What I've Been Reading

 
 
 
 
 
 
I've been reading a fair bit in the past few months, picking up some old favorites and reading some books I would normally not touch.
 
Bringing Up Girls by James Dobson: This book has been on my reading shelf for the past few years.  I keep going back to it...reading, digesting and then putting a few ideas to the test.  It's one of those books that I find most effective to read slowly...over many months.  Certainly a must read!
 
Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis:  Wow!  What can I say?!?  I had wanted to order this books ages ago when I first saw it, but waited and asked for it for my birthday.  I couldn't wait to crack it's cover.  But then I became overwhelmed and set it aside for a few days.  I was shocked at my response and couldn't figure out why I couldn't sit down and read this book.  Then it hit me!  I was afraid.  Afraid that God would speak to me and have me leave my wonderful Canadian life and head to some third world country...silly I know.  But even in this God had a purpose.  It helped me better understand people in our Christian community.  Most seem to hold the less fortunate, orphans...and ultimately us...at an arms length.  I think they are afraid, as I was, that God will speak to them, asking them to do something that is totally out of their comfort zone/plans.  I had to give it ALL to God and then I could read and be inspired by Katie's love for God...and His children.
 
Love's Enduring Promise by Janette Oke:  Janette Oke was my favorite author during my teen years.  I read and reread each of her books.  I decided to reread a few of her books...and critique it...see if she was in fact as good an author as I had always thought....I still enjoyed each book...perhaps mostly for sentimental reasons.  I have concluded that sometimes it is best not to evaluate our earlier loves...to simply hold on to the great memories!
 
Shooter by Sgt. Jack Coughlin:  I bought this book at a garage sale for 25 cents...for Martin...and thought it would be a good book to take along on our vacation.  I began reading several other books; also purchased at a garage sale for 25 cents. I ended up trashing those books and was left with nothing to read other than Shooter.  This book is disturbing and yet so very real.  It gave this gal who comes from a long line of Conscientious Objectors, a much needed view of all the brave men and women who work so hard, sacrifice so much for our freedom...wish I could take those horrible images and forever erase them from these brave men and women's lives.
 
 
 
 
 
Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne:  Just typing the title makes me chuckle.  This book is so not my kind of book!  Alex picked this book as one of his novel studies and being the teacher I have an obligation to read it.  Can't wait to move on to a different novel!  :)
 
 

5 comments:

Chantel said...

I was just flipping though a catalog yesterday wondering if Bringing Up Girls was a good read. Based off of your recommendation I might have to get it out from the library!

Kathy said...

I have read kisses from Katie...definately a life changing read and working on bringing up girls.
I haven't read a book since our trip to Wisconsin this summer, but Lord willing once my hubs is done studying and I no longer have the single parent role, reading will once again be something i can enjoy.
after Alex is done reading his book he may want to watch the movie...it must be a guy thing, Owen loves the movie, not sure if he's read the book or not.

Paige said...

That is quite the variety of books... I want to read the Kisses by Katie, everyone is raving about it!

Rebecca said...

Hi Kathy! I just saw your post on Linny's blog and clicked on your blog link. My husband is from Canada as well...Toronto born. His parents live here in Florida half the year and up in Collingwood Ontario the other half. We make the long drive up every summer. We love it there.
You have a beautiful family!
Blessings,
Rebecca
Www.loveisonthemove-hope.blogspot.com

Marie said...

Hi Rebecca! Nice to have you stop by. Praying for you.