Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Ich Geh



Note: This is a very poor recording and the music is somewhat unusual...and perhaps depressing...at least it is for me.


This song takes me back many, many years ago to when I was a wee little one.  Back to when I was 6 years old and shortly after my sister Helen was born with a severe disability.  For some reason Mom began singing some old German songs.  Songs that she grew up listening to and singing.  One of the songs she sang was "Ich Gegh" (no idea if that is the correct spelling), translated to "I Walk".  The song talks about walking the straight and narrow road that Jesus himself travelled.  I'm guessing it must have given Mom a lot of comfort and strength during those difficult years.  I can only imagine how exhausted she must have been. (Helen was her 11th child, besides 2 miscarriages).  I clearly remember her sitting in the brown recliner, rocking Helen, singing, with the saddest  look in her eye.  I also remember her singing "Pass Me Not Oh Gentle Saviour", (in German).  I think these 2 songs sort of sum up my mom's hearts cry...begging God to hear her desperate cries and vowing that she would follow Him no matter what.

My mom is my hero and always will be.  I can not imagine facing what she did at the age of 36 years.  She inspires me to see things for what they are...cleft lip/palate, club feet, a missing limb, or some other "disability" are not a disability at all.  Perhaps a nuisance, but nothing more. 

When people hear that we are adopting again...very intentionally welcoming a 5th child, with a "disability" into our home, they think we are crazy!  Some even have the guts to say so.  It is at times such as these that I think of my Mom and feel like telling people that "I am my mother's daughter...what do you expect??"  What I have on my plate is so much less than what she had...if she did it so can I!  Maybe we are crazy...but by golly we sure are happy!...and oh so grateful for all God has entrusted to us!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Marie...you're making me cry...miss Mom so much sometimes, ecspecially when the kids do something new or accomplish something...I want to share it with her.
She was amazing and inspires me as well...I remember for my 13th birthday she finally gave in to all my begging and allowed me to have Vonda Wiebe come over for night, as you well know that would have been a ton of work for mom as Vonda had cp, not to mention all the memories it would have brough to the surface and yet she did it for little old me. She truly did display sacrificial love everyday of her life.

Paige said...

Your mom sounds like an amazing woman. I don't think we need to make excuses to people... they just don't get it! We just need to listen and obey to God and what he tells us to do.