Monday, May 28, 2012

Our New Shop

After more than 24 years of being self employed, Martin f.i.n.a.l.l.y. has a shop.  It is a project that has been planned for a very, very, very looooong time.  Of coarse the construction of this project could not have come at a more inconvenient time...as most of our projects do.  All our extra funds are currently going towards our adoption and this project really does not fit into our finances at the moment.  However, the contractor had already been hired prior to our decision to adopt and it is a business expense. 

We are so excited about this shop.  Now Martin can purchase and store extra materials and avoid delays due to his supplier being out of stock on certain items.  He should also be able to stock up on materials prior to another increase in prices...saving us money!  I can hardly wait to move all of Martin's business tools/equipment from the garage into the shop and hopefully gain a spot for my vehicle! 




I was fascinated by the construction of this building even though my dad was a framer and I have seen many buildings being built.  Things have certainly changed since then!  My nephew, Dylan, works for this company and it was the very first time he was responsible for lifting the rafters onto the roof...needless to say I was pretty impressed!

I imagine Worker's Comp. would LOVE to see this picture...but in all honesty the harnesses, etc that these workers are expected to wear are more of a hazard than a help.  I chuckled to see the owner of the company take calls on his cell while expertly balancing on a wall, all the while assisting in putting the rafters into place!


Perhaps what fascinated me most was that the first picture was taken the second day and this last one on day 5.  Impressive indeed!!!  I do believe we should always hire a contractor rather than trying to accomplish the job ourselves...it gets done in...well...lets just leave it at...WAY faster!!!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Looks good...so does this mean that the next time we visit your garage will actually be exactly that a garage?;)
I think its great that Marty finally has a shop for his business.

Paige said...

My husband wants one of these… not for a shop but for a skatepark!

I am glad that is not my husband standing up there talking on the phone!