Monday, June 27, 2011

Summer Food

One of our favorite summer foods is rollkuchen and rabooze (watermelon),a traditional Mennonite food.  It is the perfect meal to serve on a sweltering, hot day.  I love making it because it is quick, requires only a few staple ingredients, and I know everyone will LOVE it! 
I only use whole wheat flour, which makes for a heartier, richer flavor...and I feel a little less guilty serving this deep fried dough.


Raina has begun feeding herself and makes a horrible mess.


For the first time in 20 years, I finally have a decent strawberry patch.  Martin picked 2 ice cream pails full on Saturday.  We are enjoying the fresh berries almost every day!  I don't think I will need to pick berries at a U-pick this year; not even for strawberry jam...yeah!!!
Another wonderful Mennonite tradition is to serve fresh strawberries with rich whipping cream and sugar.  We all love it...even Raina.  She ended up having berries everywhere...even in her hair!

2 comments:

Paige said...

There is nothing that compares to how wonderful Mennonite food is. Roll Kuchen is one of our favorites too! I never thought of making it with whole wheat flour though, I will have to try it!

Marie said...

Kathy, we will definitely make volle roll kuchen! 2 more sleeps...I'm giddy with excitement!!! Not seeing you for 3 years is WAY too long!!!