Saturday, April 16, 2011

Raina's Surgery

I have been wanting to post this since Tuesday, but my week has been CRAZY!  On top of all the usual school projects/tests, TaeKwon Do, and household chores, we have been planning my families' Easter gathering AND renovating.  My brother and his family are coming up for Easter (and I can hardly wait!!  Can you see me jumping up and down in excitement?!) and will be staying at our place.  All of my things from the laundry room and entrance are in my basement (where they will be sleeping), and it is a HUGE MESS!  Martin and I have been taping, mudding and sanding the walls...the WORST job EVER!  I painted the final coat last night and Martin prepped the floor.  We are waiting for Martin's brother to help install the flooring tonight.  Hence the delay in posting about Raina's surgery...


Raina had her surgery on Tuesday, April 12.  We left the house at 6:50am, expecting her to go into surgery at 10:30am.  Due to an emergency, her surgery was delayed until 1pm.  Raina had nothing to eat or drink since supper the night before.  She handled the wait amazingly well.  We stayed in the room and played on the bed and went for long walks exploring every boring area of the third floor.  Raina was content as long as I kept walking.  When the other kids cried Raina became visibly upset.




I was able to carry Raina into the OR and hold her as I held the mask over her mouth and nose to put her to sleep.  (I was thrilled to do this!  I am fascinated by the entire medical procedure and would have asked to observe if  the child had not been my own.)  The surgery only lasted an hour.  Raina's foot and leg is once again in a cast and will be for the next 4 weeks.  We finally arrived home after 5pm...exhausted!  We have been trying to keep Raina comfortable with Codeine, Tylenol and Advil.  Raina cried a lot the first night with each night getting a little better, except for last night...I think she was in need of medication and it took awhile to take effect.  This morning she was crawling and playing contently. 

2 comments:

Marie said...

Yes, they are! I'm sooo excited! I can't wait to relax and have a good heart to heart with them!

Paige said...

Ah, the lovely striped hospital gowns... it is so hard to watch them struggle as they go to sleep, one of the hardest parts. I am glad it went well though.

I love the pink casts!