Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fresh Buns & Memories

I baked buns today and couldn't help but take a walk down memory lane. 
I clearly remember walking home from school and the closer I got to the house the more I could smell the fresh buns Mom was baking and the faster I walked.  I always wished they would still be warm and hurried in to help myself to my favorite after school snack...
I would pick the biggest, warmest bun I could find, top it with peanut butter and as much syrup as possible.  Then I would add a glass of cold chocolate milk.  Not the kind bought in a jug, but rather, milk mixed with Nestle's Chocolate Milk Mix.  The best part about mixing it myself was that I made sure that not all the powder would dissolve and that little chunks of chocolate were left on top to scoop out with a spoon! 
As I ate my yummy snack, turning the bun this way and that, so the syrup wouldn't drip too much, I ALWAYS heard mom say "Marie, nicht zo viel zyrup! (not so much syrup)".
So...as I finished my baking I couldn't resist making one of those snacks, except this time I opted for hot chocolate with a little coffee, but still with the little chocolate chunks on top...and still as much syrup as possible!  :)



2 comments:

Paige said...

LOVE the German!

Fresh buns are delicious... funny how smells evoke so many memories...

Marie said...

Kathy, I promise, that every time you come visit I will bake buns for you! And I mean every time!!