Friday, January 21, 2011

When it Rains it Pours...

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."  Matthew 11:28-30


This past week has been extremely difficult.  It began with us inviting family over to discuss some issues.  Issues related to them completely ignoring our girls and anything adoption related.   Apparently, it has nothing to do with racism, but rather with misunderstandings.  Misunderstandings that led to less than honorable behaviour.  To make a long story short, all issues were resolved.  I can hardly wait to see what happens now!
Then our dog disappeared for almost 3 days.  We arrived home one night to see 2 coyotes on our yard and our dog cowering under the deck.  The next afternoon we arrived home to another coyote on the yard and no dog.  We assumed that most likely the coyotes had killed Cheeko, although we did not mention this to our kids.  Our boys were devastated.  They have experienced death too often in the past few years, including their previous dog, Skippy, who was hit by a car and died instantly.  We searched and called for Cheeko, but found nothing, not even tracks as it had snowed.  On day 3 we spotted Cheeko as we were leaving the yard.  As soon as he saw us he retreated...odd behaviour for our dog.  He was very ill and skinny.  We managed to coax him into the garage and by the next day he was very congested.  We took him to the vet who put him on antibiotics and sent him home.  Cheeko is beginning to eat again and is moving around.  We continue to pray that he will be fine.  He encountered a porcupine a few weeks ago and we're not sure if some of the quills broke and possibly are making their way up to his brain.  If this is the case we will have to put him to sleep.
Raina finally had 1 good night after we changed her formula to lactose free.  But the next night was horrible!  She did not want to eat yesterday and had diarrhea.  Last night she awoke, crying every 3/4 hour and preferred to lie on her tummy.  She is eating today, but still not feeling well.  On the bright side though, I did get a decent sleep after Martin took over for me and I went to sleep in the basement.
Malia continues to act out.  She has begun peeing her pants and pretends she doesn't know the simplest thing.  We have finally resorted to making her wear a diaper (she somehow managed to pee through a pull-up), much to her dismay.  I know the adjustment is hard for her, but some days I feel like screaming!  But I don't...I know it would only make matters worse and what Malia really needs is lots of love and reassurance.  I continue to read and research on the best methods to respond to Malia's behaviour.  We are regressing with her once again...going back to the things we did when she first arrived home.  In fact, treating her and the behaviour as though she was recently adopted.
To top it all off...
Morgun has a hockey tournament this weekend and I forgot to buy items for the raffle table and Morgun informed me last night, just before practice, that his helmet strap was broken.  He can not play if his helmet is broken so I thought I would head into town today to get it repaired and pick up items for the raffle.  But, with Raina sick I can not do that.  Thank God for Martin...instead of going straight to work he first got Morgun's helmet fixed and bought a few things for the raffle.   Man I LOVE that man!  He is my soft place to fall!
My stove doesn't work properly and one burner doesn't work.  My bread machine is ruined as well.  Last night as I was mixing a batch of bread the hook twisted to the point that it looks like it is crossing it's arms.  I guess I'm not the only one that feels like crossing my arms and saying "I've had it!"  lol!!
On top of that the pump on my washer is not working properly.  I have to re spin the clothes 2 or 3 times to get them dry enough to throw in the dryer.  I'm hoping it will finish my last load today and then we should be OK until next week when I can go to town to purchase a new machine.
My wonderful Norwex mop is falling apart, making it difficult to mop the floor.  I will need to get it replaced.
And finally, even though it does not involve me, Alex and Morgun have once again not received their Lego magazine.  It is a minor issue to me, but not to them!  And so the drama continues...
Yes, I am whining and complaining...not to make you feel sorry for me though!  But to let you know specifically what you can pray for, and more importantly to share that even though I am exhausted physically and mentally, I am NOT spiritually exhausted!  I feel God's presence every day and I praise him for all of this...so that I can grow and become the woman he wants me to be.  Romans 5:3 says "...we rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God had poured our his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us!".


It is this love and hope that allows me to praise God and thank him for all he has done for me...
I thank God...
 that for some weird reason I made and froze or canned many meals, baked lots of muffins,cookies, bread, and buns before Christmas. 
That our boys have adjusted so well and quickly.
That  I have a husband who willingly helps whenever he is around (amazing, because he did not grow up in a home where a man did any household chores at all!)
That it is winter and less demands outdoors and Martin's work is not as busy.
That we have good friends and family that lift us up in prayer.
That our church family supports us.
That, above all else, at the end of the day, Martin and I look at each other and can honestly say we are content and happy...exhausted, but oh so VERY blessed and happy!

2 comments:

Marie said...

Weird..not sure what's up with the highlighted yellow...too tired to deal with it now...the girls are sleeping and I'm gonna have a nap while I can!

Paige said...

That is a great verse... and a great encouragement to m.e as we have many struggles as well. I will say that it is good to be an optimist and to have God to lean on in the difficult times!

I pray your family will adjust quickly and that you can fix all those little things that need fixing and make our lives run a bit smoother.

Sounds like Malia wants to be a baby too, pretty normal, especially with her background. I am sure she will be fine.