Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sask Valley Adoption Support Group

Sometimes I feel very new to parenting. . . especially since Malia arrived. I feel the need to be almost perfect, as though too many mistakes will traumatize Malia to a point of never recovering. In my head I know this is simply not true, but in my fearful heart I worry. I realize that fear does not come from God and sometimes I need to talk to someone who understands. Someone who has similar fears, questions, and experiences. That is why we started a local adoption support group. It is small, and its beginnings are slow. Nine families met for the first time this summer to encourage and support each other. We had a wiener roast at a local park and the kids played while the adults talked. We all had a wonderful time!

There are support groups in Saskatoon, but it is difficult to really connect with such a large group. It is also unlikely to develop close relationships with people that live 1/2 an hour south of the city. . .that makes it an hours drive for us. Our area is populated with many Mennonites, some who are prejudice and still opposed to things like interracial marriages. Living in the same community allows for deeper understanding of one anothers challenges and pressures.


1 comment:

Paige said...

That does sound like a challenge, but it is so important to surround your family with other families that are similar, especially for our adopted children.

It is hard being mennonite sometimes, we are stereotyped and yet sometimes it is deserved. Very frustrating!