Monday, July 19, 2010

One Year With Malia

It's hard to believe that it has been a year since Malia first entered our lives! She is a ray of sunshine and we couldn't be more blessed! I will never forget the moment I first saw Malia. . . a terrified little girl holding back her tears. I can only imagine how overwhelmed she must have felt. Her expression says it all! She first went to Papa and sat with him for a while. She instantly had him wrapped around her little finger!

Eventually she let me hold her, but rather reluctantly.


I'm not sure if you can see how we are nearly bursting with pride and excitement at Malia's arrival, but that is how we felt! Our boys were almost in tears. . .totally thrilled!

Malia continues to explore and learn. She has adjusted so well that sometimes we forget that it has only been a year and expect her to know and understand things other 4 year olds know. It makes me smile every time I see her experience something for the first time, every time she says "wah eye knee" (my spelling. . .like it sounds) or "I yove you", and every time she looks at me with that twinkle in her eye! God sure knew what he was doing when he led us to her!

Malia amazes us every day! We know that she initially did remember many things about her life in China, but was unable to tell us about those memories. We have come to conclusions on some things. We do believe that she was in a loving foster home where she was taught to be responsible and clean up after herself. She is drawn to elderly people and freely talks with them, touches them tenderly and always has big smiles for them. We think Malia may have been raised by an elderly woman based on this and a few things she has said. At times Malia acts like a 2 year old and the next time she is mature beyond her years. She frequently says "I yike my family! God made us a special family!" or "I yike being in this family". Malia talks non stop! If she isn't talking she is singing. . . usually a song she has made up. Lately one of her favorite songs is Waving Flag by K'naan. Alex and Morgun get sick and tired of listening to Malia and frequently tell her to be quiet. Malia's cheerful, resilient nature is incredible and is an inspiration to me!
China was not the first country we considered when we decided to adopt. In fact, it was one of the last countries I thought we would adopt from. Yet in some miraculous way the country and its people have become very dear to our hearts! I pray that Malia will love her culture, appreciate her history and always feel privileged to have been born in China.
I always knew adopting would be an amazing experience, but I never knew it would change every fiber of my being. I wish I had the words to explain what I mean, but nothing seems quite adequate. However, I do know that I am not the same person I was year ago. . . life is becoming more and more about following God first and foremost, serving others, and being the best wife and mother I can be. Having a little, vulnerable child trust and depend on us when her entire life has been filled with uncertainty is mind boggling and yet so very rewarding. Who would have thought we had so much to offer. . .

Our boys are not the same either. They have a compassion and empathy rarely seen in children their age. They are beginning to understand how unfair life can be and that usually there is something we can do to make a situation better. They love Malia and are very protective. They fight with her, tease her and get annoyed with her, but wouldn't trade her for the world!

Martin has also changed. He was content to have 2 children, but would love to adopt again. Only God could do that to him!!! He is more open to what God wants, even if it means sacrificing material possessions, financial security and giving up his sanity! ;) Being an observing bystander is no longer an option for him.

I enjoy being a stay at home mom more every day (. . .well, not every day. . .you know the ones where every one is grumpy and misbehaving ;) and feel so very, very blessed! My cup runneth over!!!!

I am becoming more of an advocate for adoption and sometimes step on other peoples toes. Not that I mean to. . . it's just that I am soooo excited about what adoption has meant to us, and I would love to have others experience the same thing!








1 comment:

Paige said...

I know what you mean about advocating for adoption, I am the same way! I can't believe that one year has gone by already... and the long wait you had to go and get her. What a blessing she is and she does have a very special family!

p.s. Wavin' Flag is one of Lilah's favorite songs too -- just let me say I am quite sick of it.