Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Forestry Farm

We've been very busy these past few weeks and I have not had time to blog. Once again we planted more trees, although we only got about 70 this year. These trees were to replace those that died last year. Every year I think we've planted more than enough trees, and then some need replacing or we decide to add another shelter belt row. Thank goodness the trees only cost a few dollars a bundle! Thankfully it's been raining a lot and I haven't had to water them yet. I've also been trimming all the brown tips from my junipers and cedars. Some will need to be replaced. This past winter killed many of my shrubs. :( I also planted my garden and it is beginning to sprout! I can hardly wait to have fresh produce again! I seeded 165 potato plants this year. . .hopefully that will be enough for next year. All it takes is bringing potatoes to 1 or 2 gatherings. . . enough to feed 50 people. I ran out of potatoes a few weeks ago and carrots last week.
On top of that, it is the beginning of Martin's busy season. Therefore, I end up doing the majority of the yard work, including tilling the trees. My old Massey can be rather ornery and put up a fuss. The battery was low so I called Martin. . . trickle charged it. . . still wouldn't start. . .hooked the booster cables up to our vehicle ( this totally freaked me out! I've never boosted a vehicle before and was terrified of getting a jolt!). . .finally the old Massey started! I let it warm up a bit and then tried to put it in gear. . .ARGG. . .it refused to slip into gear! After some yelling (it was the only day the boys were at home to watch Malia)and a little praying the old clunker finally decided to cooperate!
We've also spent many hours looking for a camper trailer, trying to decide between buying a new one or settling for a used one. We finally found an older used one this last week end. I will post some pics at a later date.
Needless to say we needed to have some fun! We went to the Forestry Farm with Martin's brother and his family. We enjoyed a picnic lunch, saw all the animals, and then went for ice cream! Very relaxing!

Malia enjoying the watermelon.
Boys will be boys! Goofy grins, ears that stick out and dirty mouths!
My sweetheart and Malia! Warms my heart every time!

Malia's favorite line lately is "We are family. . . I like my family. . .we are special family!" I agree! And so does Martin even though he is scowling as usual. He is happy. . . honestly he really is! He just hates having his picture taken!







2 comments:

Paige said...

Wow, I am such a city girl! I can't imagine all that you have to do there, and most of this post I didn't know what you were talking about! I love the idea of a garden and growing our own veggies, but that won't be happening here... I will be hitting the farmer's markets instead.

Marie said...

You could come for a visit and I'd fill your vehicle up with fresh produce! I do sometimes wish I had had lower expectations of myself. . . but overall I enjoy it!